ADFIAP and the French Development Agency (Agence Française de Développement – AFD) conducted a webinar on “Financing the Green Transition and Climate Action” on September 23 and 24, 2020. The 2-day, 1-1/2 hour per day online event was attended by ADFIAP members and secretariat staff and AFD officers.
The webinar was premised in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic and its consequences on socio-economic activities wherein development banks have played a crucial role in redirecting financial flows towards sustainable development objectives. Built around the experience in France and AFD positioning, the two webinars explored how development banks can implement the transition towards a low-carbon and resilient economy.
The virtual workshop was also aimed at (a) motivating ADFIAP members to redirect their financial flows towards the green transition (b) encouraging members to join the dynamics of the International Development Finance Club (IDFC) and (c) sharing and discussing the AFD and French experiences on climate finance and financing the green transition. This event was also held ahead of the “Finance in Common Summit” in November 2020 and viewed as an opportunity to pave the way for a stronger ADFIAP-AFD partnership and collective action.
The content and speakers of the webinar were as follows:
1. The role of finance in the green transition, international understanding and lessons from the French experience (Pierre Ducret and Maria Scolan, CDC)
2. Green finance: opportunities and risks – The international framework (Paris Agreement, SDGs) and NDCs (Mariana Deheza and Camille Laurens-Villain, AFD)
3. AFD’s experience: why, how, lessons learned – Encouraging green finance – AFD’s financial tools (Léo Gaborit, AFD)
4. The landscape of climate finance: a tool to track climate investments and investments needs at a national level – (Benoit Leguet, I4CE)
5. Monitoring climate and financial institutions: better understanding of IDFC’s role and function, climate flow reporting – Collective action for climate (Béryl Bouteille, IDFC)
For more details, please email the ADFIAP Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org